A PRE-MATCH plan hatched by Llandysul manager Chris 'Coco' Davies worked a treat and sent the Swallows roaring into the semi-final of the J Emrys Morgan Cup with a 3-1 win over Crannog at Llandysul Park.

Shrewd boss Davis drafted defender Danny Williams into the squad with instructions to stick like glue to prolific Crannog goalscorer George Colven.

The plan looked to have backfired during the first half when a Crannog breakaway culminated in Colven firing past Jonathan Durbridge to give his side the lead.

But that was about the only time the visiting front-runner posed a threat as he was shackled by Williams and at one stage left the field for some 20 minutes.

As the homesters began to assert they deservedly drew level when midfielder Adrian Hazzelby netted superbly with a curling effort that went in off an upright.

Llandysul's superior fitness showed during the second period with midfielder Terry Maynard pulling the strings and setting up chances for his colleagues.

When Maynard was brought down inside the area the referee awarded a penalty and Dean Jones netted in style to nudge his side ahead before skipper Ian Barrett wrapped matters up with a third strike.

They will be hoping to do it all over again at the same venue this coming Saturday in the last eight of the Easter Monday League Cup.

The Emrys Morgan quarter-final tie between Dewi Stars and Powys outfit Berriew Reserves was postponed because of the frozen state of the Llanddewi Brefi strip and the game has been re-arranged for this weekend.

Cardigan Town marched into the semi-final of the League Cup by brushing aside visitors Felinfach 4-1 at King George V Playing Field.

Both clubs were understrength for the tie but it was the Magpies who ruled the roost and set up a penultimate round clash with the winners of the Llandysul versus Crannog tie.

Iwan Jones fired the home side ahead early on and doubled the advantage midway through the first half before skipper Iestyn Evans netted a free kick at the end of the half and Tomos Toft got a fourth after the interval.

With Costcutter League leaders Llandysul on cup duty Newcastle Emlyn had the opportunity to close the gap at the top but the Reds failed lamentably as they were held to a goalless draw by relegation-threatened Aberaeron Reserves.

The setback has in all probability cost Emlyn any chance of overhauling Llandysul and the Teifisiders could lose out on the runners-up spot to Lampeter Town.

Bottom of the pile Bargod Rangers gave themselves hope of avoiding the drop with only their second success of the term when emerging 4-3 winners in a thriller against Cilgerran Rovers at Parc Puw.

In recent weeks Rangers have welcomed the return of a number of injured and absent personnel which could keep them up.

Starting at a frenetic pace the Carmarthenshire villagers bolted into a three goal lead through Jake Kelly (2) and Lyndon Robinson but the Coraclemen fought back to square matters thanks to a Dan Bellis hat-trick.

After Rangers were awarded a penalty the stab at the target by Jack Hewitt-Fisher was kept out by impressive young goalkeeper John Ridley, but Hewitt-Fisher made amends with the winning goal.

Lowly New Quay made a superb start against St Dogmaels at Parc Arthur when Jason Thomas fired the Seasiders ahead but Saints were in the ascendancy before the break when leading 2-1 and eventually emerged 4-1 winners.

Chris Jones netted twice for the Teifi Estuary villagers, Rhys Jones took his season's goal tally to eight and vastly experienced striker Johnny James was also on target.