HAVERFORDWEST County AFC are through to the second qualifying round of the UEFA Europa Conference League after dramatically beating KF Shkendija on penalties in an historic night in Cardiff.

The Bluebirds, who reached this stage by beating Cardiff Met and Newtown on spot kicks in the Cymru Premier play-offs, repeated the feat to overturn a 0-1 deficit from the first leg.

Defender Lee Jenkins took the game to extra time with a deflected effort in the 89th minute, sending the 1,716 fans inside the Cardiff City Stadium into ecstasy.

And it was keeper Zac Jones who was the hero in the shoot-out, saving from Eraldo Cinari with his legs, before springing to his right to save the crucial final penalty from Florent Ramadani to send the Bluebirds through.

Despite having lost 1-0 at the Tose Proeski Arena in North Macedonia seven days earlier, it was Haverfordwest who started brightest against the full-timers, who have qualified 11 times for Europe in the last 12 years.

Jazz Richards, who skippered the side on the night, was played through wide on the right and whipped an inviting ball in, but Ardian Limani managed to get a toe to the ball and steer it away from the onrushing attacker.

Zac Jones was called upon to be quick off his line after a long ball through the middle and a dangerous run from Cinari, before then taking a low cross from the byline after a short free kick was worked out wide.

It took 36 minutes for the game’s first shot on target. Cinari picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch, and drove into the box after a one-two with Almir Aganspahic. But his left-footed effort was tame and straight at Jones.

Ben Fawcett was Haverfordwest’s most dangerous player going forward. The ball sprung to him on the right corner of the box after Richards put pressure on a defender. Fawcett took a touch, but pulled a shot wide across goal.

Fawcett then turned provider, sending an inviting cross in towards the edge of the six yard box. Tyrese Owen ran on to the ball, but decided to volley rather than head the ball under pressure, and sent it over.

The visitors responded straight away, with Cinari ghosting in off the right. He was found by Klisman Cake, but under no pressure couldn’t hit the target.

Manager Tony Pennock would have been pleased with the first half, but Shkendija - four-times national champions - were the fastest out of the blocks in the second half.

Endrit Krasniqi found the centre back Mevlan Adili from a free kick on the left. Adili flicked it on with his head, but the ball dropped just wide of Jones' left post.

It was Adili who was then called upon at the other end, as Haverfordwest had two efforts cleared off the line.

A corner was taken short and was met by Ricky Watts, who headed back across goal, only to be denied by Adili. The ball bobbled to Owen inside the six-yard-box, but Adili slid in to block.

Jones kept Haverfordwest in the tie when he was forced in to a fantastic save from a free kick. The ball was played from deep and was met by Totre at the far post, but Jones managed to turn the header round the post.

Jack Wilson and Iori Humphreys replaced Owen and Martell Taylor-Crossdale, and the fresh injection of legs made all the difference for the hosts.

With just minutes left on the clock, Rhys Abbruzzese ran on to a loose ball and burst through two men before he was taken down right on the edge of the box. Wilson whipped the free kick towards the top right corner, but keeper Davor Taleski was equal to it.

But, with a minute of normal time remaining, Haverfordwest got their breakthrough.

A low cross from the right deflected across the box, where Lee Jenkins, who was still up after a long throw, swivelled and shot.

The ball deflected off the defender and looped past Taleski in to the corner, sparking Welsh celebrations. 

It was all Haverfordwest through additional time, but the visitors hung on to take it to extra time.

Extra time saw limited chances at either end, as both sides began to show their tiredness.

Jenkins again proved a threat for Haverfordwest, meeting a deep corner in a dangerous area, but a defender just got a head in it to take the sting off the effort.

Ben Fawcett had the best chance when he out-jumped his marker on the edge of the six-yard box but headed his effort straight at the goalkeeper.

But just before half time in extra time, it was the home fans who had their hearts in their mouths.

A long bouncing ball over the top caused confusion between Jones and his centre backs at the edge of the box, with the ball going over the keeper, but Oscar Borg was able to steer it clear.

There were few chances in the second half, with Haverfordwest hanging on in the end for penalties as Shkendija, a professional outfit with international players, finished strongly.

It was a nightmare start to the spot kick showdown as Daniel Hawkins sent the opening penalty wide.

Endrit Kransniqi and Jazz Richards both scored, before Cinari’s low shot down the middle was cleared by Jones’ feet.

Jack Wilson and Kai Whitmore then sent identical penalties in to the top right hand corner, either side of Adili crashing an effort against the post.

With the score at 3-2, Fawcett had a chance to win it, but put his penalty over the bar. But Jones guessed right to deny Ramadani and ensure Haverfordwest progressed to the next round.

Tony Pennock's side, having won a European tie for the first time in the club's history, will now face B36 Torshavn of Faroe Islands in the second qualifying round. The first leg will be played on 27 July.