LLECHRYD Youth fell short in their attempt to capture the Ormond Plate on Friday night as difficult batting conditions put paid to their run chase against Whitland at Lawrenny.

Many had assumed the game would be in doubt after a week of inclement weather but sterling work by the ground staff , as well as strong winds which whilst making playing conditions difficult also dried out the surface, meant things started on time.

The final was also brought forward to 5pm to avoid issues with light but still, it was perhaps this factor that encouraged Whitland captain Harri Jones to bat first upon winning the toss.

It was Jones’ opening partner, Harry Fuller, who announced his intentions early as he wrapped a boundary off Jo Dow’s first over, which ended up going for 13 runs (seven in wides) as the bowler struggled to find rhythm in the swirling gales.

Dow soon settled though and along with Dafydd Davies, restricted Whitland to 33-0 in the first six overs before a bowling change nearly brought the first wicket – Olivia North coming close to dismissing Jones as twice his mistimed shots landed inches short of the close fielders.

He and Fuller continued to build steadily though and it wasn’t until the 12th over, with the score on 66, that the first wicket came as the skipper was caught by John Griffiths off Tomos Lewis for 19 (three fours).

Jacob Owen ensured no momentum was lost though as he and Fuller put on another 51, the latter reaching his half century in the 18th over with a knock that contained six boundaries.

Owen also found the fence twice in his 16 before he was bowled late on by Dow, and late runs by Shay Norcross (4 not out) and the bonus of 27 runs in extras helped Whitland to a solid total of 119-2 in 20 overs.

Llechryd’s opening pair of Ifan Dow and Tomos Lewis set off meaning business, Dow cracking three fours off the second over from Luc Owen to take the score to 18-0.

But after that the rate slowed and then in the 11th over, just as Dow seemed to be upping matters again with successive fours off Jones, he holed out to Cai Lewis for 37 (seven fours) to make it 47-1.

Jones then had his second wicket when he bowled Ben Mansfield cheaply which left the Cardiganshire side 59-2 - and needing 61 off seven overs for victory.

It was always going to be a big ask in the conditions and from there, and Whitland put the pressure on as Charlie Bujega ended the cameo of Dafydd Davies, who cracked two fours in making 10 off 11 balls, and then opener Lewis finally fell for 16 as he was stumped by Jacob Owen off the same bowler.

From there things stalled for Llechryd as the talented Bujega went on to finish with 2-24, and Jones 3-19, while two late wickets for Luc Owen saw the score finish on 86-7 – ensuring Whitland captured the Plate for the third time.

The night also saw the first trophy presentation of the Pembrokeshire cricket season, with things somewhat different to normal as County Chairman Richard Merriman thanked sponsors Phil Lloyd and family, hosts Lawrenny CC, the two scorers and umpires Jo Kiff and Glyn Cole.

Officials were then invited to come and collect their own medals, and then Llechryd skipper Davies picked up the runners-up mementoes on behalf of his side.

Jones did the same with the winning medals and then it was umpire Kiff who unsurprisingly announced Fuller as the man of the match.

Ormond Youth Plate final: Whitland (119-2) beat Llechryd (86-7) by 33 runs