Mass postponements

There were mass postponements on the local sports scene at the weekend with football and rugby games virtually washed out.

Wet weather during the week and heavy rain on Saturday morning caused the postponement of 12 league and cup games involving Costcutter clubs with only Newcastle Emlyn in action when going down 2-1 away against Bow Street of the Spar Mid Wales League Division One.

Despite another spate of postponed games there is no cause for alarm and unlikely to be a fixture pile-up towards the end of the season, according to officials.

Long-serving league secretary Geraint Davies said: "We had a very good run between August and November and clubs such as Dewi Stars and Felinfach in Division One have only seven league games to play.

"The rain is a bit of a nuisance but there are no problems at the moment and hopefully there is nice weather to come," he said.

Emlyn did the league proud in running opponents two divisions above them so close and afterwards several Street followers were full of praise for the visitors.

Front-runner Tim Williams with a scrambled effort put the north Ceredigion side in front but Sam Skinner with a similar effort put the visitors deservedly back on level terms before the interval.

The Reds were awarded a penalty early in the second half but Huw Jones's stab at the target was brilliantly saved and the danger cleared.

Striker Tom Evans got the winner for Street and it was little wonder many of their players and officials breathed sighs of relief at the end.

On the rugby front the League 1 West clash between bottom of the pile Crymych and Kidwelly was called off due to the unplayable state of Parc Lloyd Thomas while the League 3 West A game between mid-table Cardigan and third from bottom visitors Neyland did not go ahead despite the match referee Mathew Evans of Lydstep passing the King George V Playing Field

strip playable.

Members of Cardigan RFC worked throughout the morning in a bid to make the pitch fit and their toils appeared to have been rewarded when the referee said he was satisfied the game could go ahead.

But Neyland were unhappy and declined to play.

Neyland chairman and secretary John Laugharne said: "The pitch was not fit. There was so much water you wouldn't believe it and you could never have played rugby on it."

The Welsh Rugby Union is likely to consider a report from the referee.