A 20-7 win over Championship whipping boys Glynneath at Abernant Park eased the relegation fears of Newcastle Emlyn who moved five points above the drop zone.

It has to be said that the homesters were no great shakes as their record of two successes in 13 outings showed it will take something really

special to turn things around and avoid dropping into League One.

Next up for the Red and Whites is a visit to fellow strugglers Rhydyfelin on February 17 when a seventh win of the campaign would go a long

way towards ensuring safety.

Boggy conditions made it difficult for both sides and especially for the Teifi Valley men who have gained a reputation for open rugby.

But despite atrocious conditions the visitors showed their superiority which could boost morale in the weeks ahead.

A forward drive midway through the first half culminated in scrum-half Dafydd Evans going over for a try converted by outside half Mitchell Jones who increased the visitors' advantage with a 28-metre penalty.

Just before the interval a scrum infringement by Glynneath allowed Emlyn kicker Jones to land a penalty and during the second period a surging drive culminated in prop Emrys Davies going in for a try converted by Ashley Sutton.

Near the end Glynneath tight-head prop James Varden barged over for a try and Jack O'Reilly converted.

Crymych have reached the last eight of the WRU National Plate where they have a home game against Ystalyfera but it is altogether different in League 1 West with the Preselimen appearing a cast iron bet for relegation.

A 44-12 defeat at the hands of relegation-haunted Llanelli Wanderers at Stradey Park left the north Pembrokeshire side 14 points from safety.

There may be 12 games remaining for them to get out of trouble but it is far from an encouraging scenario as they play catch up and desperately need a winning run.

Crymych led 12-10 after the opening 40 minutes but went off the boil during the second half as they conceded 36 points without reply.

During the first half the visitors got tries through No. 8 Guto Davies and fullback Tomos Phillips, one of the scores converted by centre Ifan


For Wanderers outside half Jonathan George put his side on the scoreboard with a penalty and he also added the extras to a try by

scrum-half Josh Weeds.

There was a major turnaround after the break as the Stradey men took almost total control.

Further tries followed from Weeds, No. 8 Nicky Harries, winger Lewis Jones, fullback Lloyd Thomas, centre Dafydd Daniel and George who landed three conversions and a penalty.

It was also a day to forget for Cardigan in League 3 West A where Emyr Harries and Co were thumped 38-11 at joint third in the table Laugharne.

The Carmarthenshire high-flyers emerged 41-10 winners at King George V Playing Field in October and completing the double did not present them with any major problems.

Cardigan could be excused for being sick of the sight of Laugharne backrower Mike Williams who completed a try hat-trick to go with six

touchdowns he achieved in Cardigan.

The dynamic Williams grabbed two tries before the interval and another during the second half.

Laugharne were in the ascendancy virtually throughout, leading 17-6 at half time and adding a further 21 points during the second half.

Fullback John Lumb landed two penalties for the Cardis and lock Dan Jones crossed for a try near the end.