People in Wales will now have to show an NHS COVID-19 pass to legally travel abroad and enter large events and nightclubs.

The pass will prove to others that people have been vaccinated or had a negative lateral flow test result.

Anyone aged 16 or over can get the pass as long as they were vaccinated in the UK.

The law was passed in the Senedd last week following a vote, with 28 members voting in favour and 27 members voting against.

Tivyside Advertiser: People in Wales will have to show a COVID-19 pass to legally enter nightclubs and large events from today (Credit: PA)People in Wales will have to show a COVID-19 pass to legally enter nightclubs and large events from today (Credit: PA)

How can I get a pass?

The NHS COVID-19 pass is available via the NHS website and can be accessed on any device.

The pass is not available on the NHS app, as this is only valid in England.

You will need an NHS login and be asked to upload a photo of your passport or full driving license.

If you do not have any photographic ID you will need to register for a paper NHS COVID-19 certificate.

How can I request a paper NHS COVID-19 certificate?

To request a paper certificate, you can call 0300 303 5667 between 9am – 5pm daily.

You can only request a paper COVID-19 certificate if you are fully vaccinated, aged 16 or over and do not have photographic ID.

What if I was vaccinated abroad?

If you were vaccinated abroad, you must get proof of vaccination from that country.

NHS Wales has said they are working with the UK government to recognise the status of people who were vaccinated in other countries.

Can children get the COVID-19 pass?

Anyone under the age of 16 is not eligible for a COVID-19 pass.

NHS Wales has said they are working towards developing a system for under 16s and that some children may need to show proof of a COVID-19 test if travelling abroad.

What if I live in Wales but my GP is in England?

If your GP is based in England you will need to access the England NHS App as NHS Wales will not be able to find your vaccination record.

You can read the full list of guidance on the Welsh Government website.