After overcoming downright atrocious conditions in north Ceredigion with snow and sleet throughout the 90 minutes, Cardigan Town showed their pedigree in coming from behind and springing a 2-1 win over Dewi Stars to earn a J Emrys Morgan Cup semi-final slot.

The Magpies, who lifted the coveted trophy five years ago when sweeping the board on the local front, stayed on course for a third win in the competition – the first came against Llanrhaeadr in 1999 – and they must surely have a chance of going all the way again.

High-flying Powys outfit Brecon Corries, who sprang a 4-1 away win over St Dogmaels in the previous round, are fighting for promotion to a higher level after an absence of many years and strongly fancied by many to be the eventual winners.

Cardigan stalwart Seamus Doherty, who led Cardigan to that unprecedented trophy haul in 2015, had no doubt about his choice of opponents in the penultimate round.

“I want Brecon Corries. They are obviously a high quality side, but we are OK as well and would like to have a look at them before the final,” he said.

That the tie at Llanddewi Brefi started at all surprised followers and that it went the distance was nothing short of miraculous as the contest was fought out in continual snow and hail with the pitch cutting up badly long before the final whistle.

Given the conditions both sides were to be commended on their efforts and endeavouring to play constructive football.

As it turned out the game was a battle from start to finish with Town, who left some experienced regulars on the bench and included a number of youngsters, finally edging it 2-1.

Stars, who brought in five students, fought for everything and were twice denied by the woodwork in the dying moments.

It appeared as if the northerners would cause an upset when leading 1-0 after the opening 45 minutes, but the Magpies, with John Lumb a tower of strength at the heart of the defence, rallied during the second period with two strikes to earn a place in the last four.

John Beck was first to react at a corner to stab the ball home and give Stars the lead before the interval.

Town squared matters midway through the second half when striker Liam Doherty collected a Llion Williams cross into the middle and beat Iestyn Edwards.

With the visitors pushing forward for a winner young Doherty was put through and in a one-to-one with Edwards finished like a seasoned campaigner.

Throwing caution to the wind in the final minutes the Division One strugglers very nearly sprang an equaliser but a strike by Beck rebounded from an upright to Haley Morgan whose effort thumped the crossbar and was cleared.

Crannog banked maximum Division One points at the expense of visitors Lampeter Town at the Urdd Centre.

It was a fine all-round team performance by the coastal side who led by two goals at one stage but had to defend in depth in the final quarter.

The homesters led by a solitary goal at the break thanks to the alertness of Jack Taylor and the advantage was doubled early in the second period through an exquisite tight-angled chip by Jake Forbes.

With goalkeeper Tom Jones on top of his game and those in front of him a solid unit Crannog held out in the face of late pressure.

After holding Division Two promotion contenders Crymych to a draw seven days earlier Bargod Rangers sprang a 5-0 win over Ffostrasol Reserves in round one of the South Cards Cup at Parc Puw.

Jack Fisher and Chester Powell bagged a brace of goals apiece and the other marksman was Tom Rogers on a day when only three games were played in the area.