Ceredigion Schools U12s football team have restarted in style after the Christmas break.

The first game away to Swansea schools saw them beating the current league leaders 5-3 in a highly competitive and entertaining match at Gorseinon.

Ceredigion took first use of the strong wind blowing straight down the pitch but found themselves a goal down within five minutes when a shot was unfortunately deflected off a defender.

They battled back and were on level terms within double quick time through a 20-yard piledriver from Gwydion Dafis and they took the lead midway through the half when a Steffan Gillies shot took the home keeper by surprise and he could only parry the ball into the net.

Swansea started the second half in a determined fashion and Ceredigion found it difficult to come out of their own half. Some resolute defending and a couple of fine saves from Bobi Jones appeared to have weathered the storm but from a free kick 25 yards out their strong central defender struck a powerful shot straight into the top corner of the goal.

Ironically this seemed to spur on the Ceredigion players and they retook the lead with ten minutes to go when Casi Gregson burst through the home defence and finished with aplomb much to the delight of her teammates. Her pace and skill created a couple of further chances and only the brave keeping of the home goalkeeper kept her at bay.

With less than five minutes left it appeared that the hearts of the Ceredigion team were to be broken when a cross from the right eluded the home defence and one of the Swansea forwards was able to nudge it into the net.

However in the last minute of normal time Llifon Evans broke down the wing and a piece of trickery in the box resulted in him being fouled with the referee pointing to the penalty spot. Under intense pressure Tomos Lloyd Jones strode forward to coolly slot the spot kick home.

In injury time Ceredigion increased their lead through a determined Steffan Gillies run down the right before he slid the ball past the on-rushing keeper.

The following week it was the turn of Caerphilly Schools at Newcastle Emlyn. The players strove to carry on where they left off the previous week being quick out of the blocks and only some resolute defending by the Caerphilly defence kept them at bay.

As the half progressed game developed into a midfield battle with both sets of players giving their all. The best moment of the half saw the away goalkeeper bringing off a fine save at the feet of Casi Gregson after she managed to breach the defence.

The second half produced a similar stalemate until 15 minutes from the end when a cross from the right was half-cleared to the edge of the box. The loose ball was pounced upon by a Caerphilly midfielder and he shot powerfully into the corner of the net.

For the rest of the half Ceredigion defended stoutly but were unable to trouble the Caerphilly defence and the game was lost by the one goal.