A SHOCK defeat for Costcutter League Division One unbeaten high-flyers Cardigan Town dealt a major blow to the Magpies’ championship aspirations as they slumped 2-1 to visitors Crannog.

But just across the Teifi the result gave Saint Dogmaels manager Steve Jerry Williams and his charges cause for extra confidence in their bid to retain the title.

Town players, officials and supporters must still be wondering how they lost a game they could and should have won at a canter after dominating matters for most of the 90 minutes.

But in fairness to Crannog, they did a job on their opponents, scoring from virtually the only two chances that came their way and defending as if their lives depended on the result.

The visitors went ahead before half time when a cross into the middle hit a home defender and the ball squirted past Steff Marsden.

Dylan Davies levelled for Town during the second period but just when it looked as if a home win was inevitable up popped Crannog’s Brynley Morris with a long-range effort and despite incessant pressure the homesters failed to break down a resolute defence.

Not so long ago many were writing off the chance of Ffostrasol avoiding the drop but two wins have lifted Wanderers out of the relegation zone.

The Troedyrhiw Park battlers sprang a 2-1 win over visitors Felinfach despite trailing to a Marc Davies goal after the opening 45 minutes

Cian Edwards fired through a crowded penalty area to put Ffostrasol back on level terms and with eight minutes remaining right-winner Steffan Jackson scrambled the ball home to give his side maximum points.

In the other league encounter relegation-threatened Dewi Stars lost for the tenth time in 12 outings when going down 5-1 against Llandysul at Llanddewi Brefi.

For the Swallows there were first half goals for Jessie Clayton and Dan Sears and after the break Sears netted a second with Andrew Gilbert and Richard Evans also on target.

Although not on the scoresheet special mention should be made of Llandysul striker Nick Warr who ran for the full game and created three of his side’s goals.

Costcutter newcomers Crymych are homing in on the Division Two title and promotion after a hard-earned but deserved 2-0 win over Aberaeron Reserves at Square Field.

Attacking livespark Gethin Evans got both goals for the visitors.

As drama unfolded in the county town, St Dogmaels visited Cae Dandre in west Carmarthenshire in the last eight of the Easter Monday League Cup and went through to a semi-final clash with Crymych after winning 4-3.

One of the highlights was a goal apiece for the three Williams brothers Jason, Adam and Owen, the first time in the history of the Teifi Estuary village club that three siblings have netted in the same game.

The visitors were three goals clear and cruising at the interval but appeared to relax during the second half allowing Llanboidy to come up with two late goals, but it was not quite enough.

The three brothers who got their names on the scoresheet were skipper and central defender Jason, central midfield general Adam and the youngest of the three 18-year-old winger Owen with Louis Harding also finding the net.

Gethin Scourfield netted twice for full-of-fight Llanboidy and the other goal was claimed by former Cardigan Town striker Ewan Jones.

Lampeter Town caused a cup upset when turning in a first-rate team effort in springing a 3-2 win against fancied Newcastle Emlyn on their opponents’ own Parc Emlyn stamping ground.

In a highly-entertaining spectacle the visitors just about shaded matters and at times were indebted to goalkeeper Heighlyn Jones as the Reds mounted attacks.

Lampeter trailed to a Jake Kelly goal after the opening 45 minutes, squared matters through Liam Jones and although Kelly restored the home advantage the visitors came back strongly with Gethin Hunter putting them back on level terms and Liam Jones popping up with the winner.

A midweek Cwpan Coffa Dai Dynamo Davies round one tie between Newcastle Emlyn of Division One and Second Division Maesglas at Parc Emlyn was abandoned at half time due to heavy fog. Emlyn led 3-0 when the tie ended prematurely and will be replayed on Wednesday, February 5