Costcutter Ceredigion Football League reigning champions and leaders St Dogmaels discovered top local sides may be some way behind their counterparts in Powys.

This was the general consensus among a sizeable crowd at what has been dubbed Fortress School Field where Saints were swept aside 4-1 by Mid Wales League South top dogs Brecon Corries for a quarter-final spot in the J Emrys Morgan Cup.

Defending a proud unbeaten home record stretching back two and a half years, the Teifi Estuary villagers gave it their best shot and asked questions of their opponents, but Corries, who in their heyday graced the Welsh League, oozed class and confidence throughout.

On the evidence of an entertaining tie it will take something a bit special to prevent the Powys high-flyers from lifting the coveted trophy on Good Friday next year.

While it has to be said that Corries were the better side, many home supporters disputed the referee's decision to allow two of the goals which they argued were offside.

Defender Stan Potter fired the visitors ahead early on and although Adam Williams squared matters for Saints with a clinical finish it was 3-1 at the interval after midfielder Mathew Roderick and striker Paul Keddle were on target for Corries.

Saints were reduced to ten men for the final 30 minutes after Josh Mellor was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Corries got a fourth goal near the end when skipper Dale Evans converted a penalty.

Despite the appointment of a new manager Llandysul are finding life difficult in the Costcutter League Division One which was evident at Llandysul Park on Saturday where visitors Crannog emerged 6-1 winners.

For the on-form coastal villagers Robbie Evans and Efan Shon netted two apiece and the other marksmen were Gary Davies and George Colven.

When Division Two newcomers Crymych visited leaders New Quay back in September the Seasiders came out on top 2-1, but it was an entirely different story at Tegryn where the Preselimen sprang a 4-2 win to reach the quarter-final of the Easter Monday League Cup and a home tie against Aberporth.

Crymych got off to dismal start when central defender Steffan James suffered an ankle injury and was taken to Glangwili Hospital. He was diagnosed with ligament damage and will be out of action for six weeks.

The homesters did a bit of reshuffling and rose to the occasion by producing a solid team performance to deservedly go through.

Central midfielder Osian Wyn bagged a brace of goals and the others came via Aled Morgan and Shon Vaughan.