Three Costcutter League clubs powered through to the quarter-final of the J Emrys Morgan Cup and could be joined by St Dogmaels who host Powys high-flyers Brecon Corries this Saturday.

Former holders Newcastle Emlyn lost two games earlier in the season against top two St Dogmaels and Cardigan Town but the Reds have pulled things around as they showed in Aberystwyth by sweeping aside Cambrian Tyres League Division Two pacesetters Penparcau Reserves 5-0 to reach the last eight.

In a quality all-round team performance the Reds played some neat football and with a little more steadiness in the third half of the pitch could have won by the proverbial mile.

Front-runner Jake Kelly netted twice before the break and fellow striker Steve Thomas got in on the act with a header.

As Emlyn continued to dominate during the second period Kelly capped a first-rate showing by completing his hat-trick and Cory Davies made it a nap hand for the visitors.

Mid-table Felinfach have hardly set the scene alight this term but the Milkmen are firing on the cup front as they showed with a hard-earned but fully-deserved 2-1 away win over Llandysul.

Llandysul started brightly and went ahead during the opening quarter but the visitors always looked capable of earning the passage.

Felinfach fought back strongly when 16-year-old midfielder Ben McEvoy was “over the moon” to open his scoring account for the Swallows, and left-winger Joe Jenkins netted a second half winner.

Lampeter Town lifted the coveted trophy for the only time five years ago but under manager Jonion Evans the mid county men are on course again after a hugely impressive performance in outplaying Cambrian Tyres League Division One title challengers Llanilar 4-0 at North Road.

Dangerous raider Luke Lovell fired Town ahead early on and he doubled the advantage with his second strike just before half time.

Lampeter continued to pull the strings throughout the second half and made absolutely sure of going through with further goals by Jason Jones and Terry Witts, the latter expertly converting a penalty.

Bargod Rangers of Division Two put up a brave showing against visitors and JT Hughes Montgomeryshire League leaders Guilsfield Reserves but the visitors went through after winning 4-2 at Parc Puw.

Cardigan Town and Dewi Stars were given walkovers into the quarter-final after Rhayader Reserves and Aberdyfi respectively pulled out explaining they could not raise teams.

A third tie between Tregaron and Llanfyllin was also scrapped when the latter forfeited the game.

The Emrys Morgan is widely regarded as the most prestigious competition in Mid Wales junior football and it was hardly surprising there were shocked reactions.

After former winners Cardigan Town went through a King George V Playing Field loyal supporter Dai Jones said: “It appears some clubs wait for the cup draw and if it involves them in extensive travelling and tough encounters they don’t want to know.

“A small fine is not the answer and there obviously should be a deterrent.”

Llanboidy are joint fourth in Division One after a 5-3 win over bottom but one and relegation-threatened Aberporth at Cae Dandre.

Front-runner Rhys Jenkins netted twice for the west Carmarthenshire side and the other marksmen were Evan Jones, Dafydd Vaughan and Jac Griffiths, with Mike King, Dan Davies and Mathew Smith replying for the Airmen.

Crannog won for the fourth time when forced to pull out the stops to come out 2-1 against bottom-of-the-pile Ffostrasol at Troedyrhiw Park.

The home side suffered a blow during the opening 45 minutes when Iwan Jones was red-carded for a foul at the back and the coastal villagers took advantage to bank maximum points thanks to goals by George Colven and Ifan Shon, the latter following up to seize on a rebound after Gary Davies fired against an upright.