As anticipation mounted before the J Emrys Morgan Cup quarter-final tie between Costcutter League top two St Dogmaels and Crannog at the Urdd Centre there was considerable speculation with many tipping the Llangrannog side for glory.

But in the event the Teifi Estuary villagers roared to a 5-0 win, showing their class with a polished performance that left their opponents well-beaten long before the final whistle.

Afterwards Saints manager Steve Jerry Williams said: “We were aware of pre-match predictions but concentrated on our game and had very few problems.”

The boss added that he had no preference as to the semi-final opponents.

Such was Saints’ dominance goalkeeper Casey Walters was called upon only occasionally to collect high balls intended for striker George Colven.

Against a strong wind during the opening 45 minutes the visitors kept it tight at the back and were dangerous on the break which they showed when Louis Harding broke down the right and crossed for Peter Almond to crash a header past player/manager goalkeeper Rhydian Morgan.

That’s how it remained until early in the second period when Rhys Jones blasted home from 25-yards giving Morgan no chance whatsoever.

There was no way back for the homesters who fell further behind when Harding was brought down inside the penalty area by Marc Evans who had already been yellow-carded and was given his marching orders by referee Wyn Roberts.

Harding converted the penalty to wrap up the passage for Saints who finished strongly as Rhys Jones found the bottom corner of the net from distance and Harding rounded Morgan to make it a nap hand.

Reigning champions Lampeter Town joined Saints in the last four after sweeping aside Bow Street Reserves of the Cambrian Tyres Aberystwyth League with a 5-1 win at North Road.

And what’s more the mid-county boys did the business without a crop of injured players including inspirational skipper and central midfielder Marc Evans, suffering from a back injury who sat on the bench for most of the contest before being drafted on during the second half.

It was nip and tuck for the opening 30 minutes but after Jason Jones fired Town ahead the writing was on the wall for the visitors.

Jones doubled the advantage and although Street halved the deficit recent signing Rhys Douglas, who has been shearing in New Zealand, was introduced on the left of midfield and he netted twice before Gethin Hunter rounded off the scoring.

Asked who he’d like as semi-final opponents Lampeter player/manager Terry Witts said he would prefer Penparcau or Bishops Castle.

Aberystwyth League pacesetters Penparcau, who visit St Dogmaels a week on Saturday in the last eight of Cwpan Coffa Dai Dynamo Davies, went through after a 4-2 win over visitors and JT Hughes Montgomeryshire Amateur League Division One leaders Guilsfield Res.

Another JT Hughes First Division outfit Bishops Castle sprang a 4-1 win on penalties against Trefonen of Division Two – it was 1-1 after 90 minutes and extra time.

Cardigan Town virtually ensured safety in Division One of the Costcutter after a hard-earned but deserved 2-0 win over visitors Ffostrasol at King George V Playing Field.

Town were indebted to goalkeeper Steff Marsden for keeping out a Ffostrasol penalty before Josh Mellor headed home a Steff Davies cross to put the Magpies ahead and young substitute Morgan Griffiths hit a second goal to make absolutely sure of maximum points.

Newcastle Emlyn could muster only nine players for the game at Llanboidy but when the reserves’ game was postponed the Reds had a full complement of personnel and emerged 2-1 winners at Cae Dandre. Jake Shakespeare and Daniel Davies were the goal heroes for the Teifisiders.