The urgent need for more referees in the Costcutter Football League was brought to the fore again at the weekend when the Division One top of the table game between St Dogmaels and Crannog in the Teifi Estuary village was called off due to appointed referee Wyn Roberts suffering an injury and being unfit to take the whistle.

There was no replacement match official available and the game of the day was postponed.

As the top two kicked their heels, third in the table and reigning champions Lampeter Town, currently five points adrift of the summit, brushed aside Llanboidy 3-1 at North Road and gave themselves an outside chance of retaining the title.

Town were dominant virtually throughout despite conceding an early goal, and but for spurning gilt-edged opportunities would have won by the proverbial mile.

Front-runner Jason Jones squared matters on the stroke of half time, versatile Gethin Hunter fired Lampeter ahead and central midfielder and skipper Marc Evans, who was the outstanding performer, wrapped up the points with a third goal.

A number of Ffostrasol followers understandably felt rather hard done by after an entertaining game at Newcastle Emlyn won 3-2 by the home side.

The visitors fought back after trailing by two goals but Emlyn regained the initiative and a late strike enabled them to win 3-2.

Huw Jones fired the Parc Emlyn outfit in front and Corrie Davies hit a second goal before half time as the homesters held sway.

But after Emlyn goalkeeper Barry Edwards denied visiting central defender Gethin Davies from the penalty spot Wanderers began to dominate and deservedly drew level with goals by Steffan Evans and Dafydd Phillips, but with eight minutes left Sam Skinner hit a winner for the Reds.

As it stands it appears that bottom of the pile Bargod Rangers and Aberaeron Reserves are destined for relegation at the end of the term after Rangers crashed 5-1 against Cardigan Town at Parc Puw and the latter lost 3-0 against Felinfach at Square Field.

The Parc Puw strip was hardly conducive to one-touch constructive football but despite the conditions Town did the business clinically and with a shade more steadiness in the final third of the pitch would have won by a wider margin.

Young front-runner Owen Williams was the hero for the Magpies with a well-taken hat-trick and Iwan Jones bagged a brace of goals.