Unbeaten Costcutter League Division One leaders St Dogmaels warmed up for the long trek to the Powys/Shropshire border to take on Llanymynech in the J Emrys Morgan Cup this weekend by making their shortest journey of the campaign across the Teifi pay dividends with a 2-1 win over Cardigan Town at King George V Playing Field.

On song Crannog kept up the pressure on Saints by springing a 3-1 win over reigning champions Lampeter Town at the Urdd Centre but although the top two are level on points the north Pembrokeshire villagers have four games in hand on their rivals.

Saints dominated against their neighbours to such an extent goalkeeper Casey Walters was a spectator for most of the game but despite their control and possession a worrying aspect for manager Steve Jerry Williams is the side lacking a cutting edge up front.

This was obvious as chances galore went begging, and if the table-toppers take advantage of some of the openings created someone is going to concede a hatful of goals.

Town lost midfielder Ben Davies early in the second half when referee Wyn Roberts had no hesitation in showing the experienced performer the red card for a lunging tackle on Rhys Jones.

After a goalless opening 45 minutes the visitors went ahead when Louis Harding set up a chance for Peter Almond who blasted past Steffan Marsden from the edge of the penalty area.

A Rhys Jones effort took a deflection off Saints winger Jack Thomas to make it 2-0 before the Magpies halved the deficit with a cross-cum shot by Craig Poole.

Crannog and Lampeter Town produced a contest to savour with the homesters coming out on top but Town in contention throughout and could perhaps be considered rather unfortunate not to share the spoils.

There were no goals before the interval and during the second period George Cohen, Rhys Davies and Gary Davies were on target as Crannog continued on the straight and narrow.

Newcastle Emlyn have not met with the success they are normally associated with but despite some setbacks there is a growing feeling that the Reds could still be a force to be reckoned with during the second half of the season.

Owain Thomas and his merry men turned on the style in brushing aside visiting Llandysul 4-1, the young Swallows also showing potential but beaten by a better side.

For Emlyn, who led 2-0 at half time, Dion Davies was the goal-scoring hero with a well-taken hat-trick and the other marksman was Robbie Jenkins.

Spectators at Troedyrhiw Park must still be wondering how Ffostrasol won by the narrow margin of 2-1 against visitors Felinfach after Wanderers spurned enough opportunities to have romped it.

The homesters led by a Shaun Evans strike from 20-yards at the interval and although the Milkmen squared matters early in the second period central defender Gethin Davies gave his side maximum points with an expertly taken penalty.

Felinfach strove for an equaliser but were denied by a resolute defence with goalkeeper Gary Jones again on top of his game.