After a rather hesitant start to the season, Llandysul of the Costcutter League Division One are flying high on an unbeaten run dating back to the

start of September and caused an upset at the weekend when lowering the colours of Mid Wales League outfit Dolgellau Athletic in round one of the Central Wales Cup.

Waterlogged pitches caused the postponement of eight games in the Costcutter but the Llandysul Park strip was playable, giving the Swallows

the opportunity to beat opponents from a higher tier, which they did in style by emerging 2-0 winners.

The northern visitors may ply their trade at a higher level, but it was the Teifisiders who showed superior class and fully deserved the

giant-killing act they pulled off.

New manager Gwynfor Edwards, who has strengthened the squad and generated team-spirit, was delighted after his charges excelled.

"It was without doubt one of our best performances of the season and things are taking shape," he said.

"Although it was essentially a team effort that gave us the win it was encouraging to see two 17-year-old wingers from the locality showing up so


Dolgellau were in the game up until half time but during the second half the fitter home players moved up a gear.

Making his Llandysul debut, ex-Wales youth international goalkeeper Dafydd Jones, the former Garden Village custodian, on his first appearance

for Llandysul, pulled off two stunning early saves to deny Dave Edwards, but he was a virtual spectator during the second period as skipper Dean Jones and others defended resolutely and skilfully.

Outstanding left-winger Harry Wilson fired the homesters ahead just before the break after the chance was created for him by Lewis Jones and

Ifan Sion rounded the goalkeeper to double his side's advantage in the final quarter.

Costcutter Division One mid-tablers Ffostrasol also did the league proud in the same competition when pulling off a superb 4-2 away win over

Cambrian Tyres Aberystwyth League second-placed Tregaron Turfs.

And what's more Wanderers came from 2-1 down at half time to storm into the lead and repelled waves of Tregaron pressure near the end to emerge worthy winners.

Iolo Thomas fired the visitors ahead with a 25-yard free kick and after the interval Thomas squared matters with his second goal before Mark Bowen and Steffan Evans were on target.

Also in the Central Wales Cup there was a walkover for Powys club Talgarth Town against Newcastle Emlyn who failed to fulfil the fixture.

Crannog made ground on Division One leaders St Dogmaels by fashioning a 5-1 win over Felinfach at the Urdd Centre, the win spearheaded by deadly finisher George Colven who hit a superb hat-trick while Gary Davies and Mike Glover also got on the scoresheet.