Llandysul Park was no place for the faint-hearted as reigning Costcutter League champions Llandysul and leaders Lampeter Town clashed in an Easter Monday League Cup quarter-final tie.

In a thrilling contest that was a credit to the league the homesters emerged 2-1 winners and took their place in the last four where they meet St Dogmaels at Parc Puw in Drefach Felindre this Saturday.

The Swallows were hit by a mass exodus of players earlier in the season but shrewd manager Chris 'Coco' Davies brought in a number of talented replacements and blooded some of the club's promising youngsters and his efforts are now beginning to pay dividends.

Before the start boss Davies told his charges to believe in themselves and that they were good enough to mix it with the best in the league. The pep talk seemed to work as the players turned it on and deservedly booked

their passage.

The scoreline may suggest the outcome was in the balance throughout but although Lampeter pushed forward in numbers during the second period they did not seriously threaten to take control.

In fact if had not been for a number of missed opportunities, especially during the opening 45 minutes, Llandysul would have won with something to spare.

Llandysul were without outstanding central defender Dean Jones through illness but Mark Jones and Shaun Price turned in first-rate performances while central midfielder Carwyn Morgan also had a big game.

It was the visitors who drew first blood after 35 minutes when Arwel Thomas sent over a cross-cum shot that eluded goalkeeper John Durbridge and flew into the roof of the net.

The home side created a number of opportunities but could take only one of them before the break when Chris Harries netted.

What proved to be the winner came in the final quarter when Llandysul were awarded a penalty for a handling offence and Lewis Jones expertly converted the spot-kick.

Division One basement boys Ffostrasol also made it through after a 6-0 win over visitors Aberaeron Reserves who huffed and puffed but were second best virtually throughout the 90 minutes.

Ffostrasol, who played well as a team on to meet holders Newcastle Emlyn in a semi-final tie at Square Field in Aberaeron this Saturday.

It was quite tight for the opening 20 minutes but after striker Cian Edwards broke through and put the homesters in front the result was never really in doubt.

Leading by the solitary strike at the break Wanderers turned on the style during the second period as Edwards doubled his side's advantage before goals from Adam Jones, Iwan Lloyd (2) and Lyon Morgan made it plain


The weather continued to play havoc as a further eight league and cup games were postponed.

A game that did escape was the Division One clash between relegation-haunted Dewi Stars and Felinfach at Llanddewi Brefi which ended all square at 1-1.

The result left Stars joint second from bottom with Cilgerran Rovers and with only four games remaining the north Ceredigion side could experience difficulty in reaching safety while a point took Aberaeron four points above the drop zone.