Very few Newcastle Emlyn fans are anticipating an anxious run-in to the end of the season but a 37-30 defeat by Beddau in Rhondda Cynon Taf exerted that bit of extra pressure in the bid to retain Championship status.

As it stands the Red and Whites are 11 points above the drop zone having played a game more than those below them.

Emlyn host sixth in the table Bedlinog a week on Saturday, visit third-placed Narberth the following weekend, are away against unbeaten leaders Pontypool on April 7 before the return game against Beddau and the final outing against Newbridge at Ddol Wyber.

At one time during the second half at Mount Pleasant Park the visitors trailed by 24 points and although outgunned on the day, finished strongly to score four tries and be within seven points of their opponents, which earned them two valuable bonus points.

What went before was a catalogue of errors on the part of the Teifisiders who have gained a reputation for being either very good or substandard.

Outside half Hywel Chatham landed two early penalties for the home side and although his opposite number Mitchell Jones put over a kick, Beddau scrum-half Tom Slater was quick to see an opening with a tap penalty before sending winger Joe Casella in for a try wide out.

Emlyn were dealt a major blow when all-action flanker Joel Jones was yellow-carded but injured in the same incident and took no further part in the game.

Fly-half Jones gave Emlyn hope with a penalty but before the break Beddau lock Lloyd Evans went over for an unconverted try from a catch and drive at a lineout near the line.

Early in the second half winger Casella outpaced the visitors' cover defence for his second touchdown and soon afterwards completed a try hat-trick, both scores converted by Chatham.

Shrewd Emlyn coach Marc Lloyd then drafted on replacements Ifan Jones, Mike Jones and Emrys Davies and they added much needed impetus to the side as the visitors mounted a fightback.

Replacement scrum-half Mike Jones was quick to take advantage of an attacking situation with a tap penalty that culminated in centre Steffan Evans going over for a try – the conversion attempt by Jones rebounded from an upright.

A superb Emlyn move ended with centre Tomi Jones racing in for a try under the posts and Jones converted.

Beddau responded when the lively Slater put flanker Sam Tiley over for a try wide out and Chatham converted superbly.

As the minutes ticked away the Teifisiders sprang two quick-fire tries through prop Emyr Davies and winger Dan Davies.

When Aberaeron visited King George V Playing Field in Cardigan for a League 3 West A game back in November the Seasiders emerged 27-5 winners and completed the double at Parc Drefach but had to pull out all the stops in springing an 8-6 win.

After more than five minutes of injury time the visitors led by a point but home outside half Rhodri Jenkins coolly slotted a last gasp penalty to give his side victory.

Aeron went ahead during the opening 40 minutes when Morgan Llewellyn drove over for a try but centre John Lumb gave the Cardis hope with a penalty just before the break and put them in front with his second successful kick before that late drama.