With Costcutter League Division One championship contenders St Dogmaels and Newcastle Emlyn forced to kick their heels through the unplayable state of the School Field, unbeaten leaders Lampeter Town took advantage when springing a 4-1 win over relegation-threatened Aberaeron Reserves at Square Field.

In keeping to the straight and narrow Terry Jones's charges soared seven points clear of their rivals and although there is a long way to go

many feel that Lampeter are now clear favourites to lift the trophy for the first time since season 2008-09.

The league pacesetters went ahead early on when Szymon Konwiak netted and at the other end visiting goalkeeper Dylan Evans kept his side in front with a brilliant double save.

Aeron huffed and puffed and got on the scorecard but Lampeter dominated for lengthy periods and further goals from Robert Slawkowski and a brace from Jason Jones gave them maximum points.

Reigning champions Llandysul have an outside chance of retaining their title as they kept to winning ways with a 3-2 win over a full-of-fight

Felinfach outfit on an extremely heavy Llandysul Park strip.

Centre midfielder Carwyn Morgan celebrated his 18th birthday by giving the Swallows the lead and further goals came via Chris Harries and Josh Baker.

The Llandysul win was marred by the sending off of Scott Mayes for bringing down a visiting player as the last man in defence.

Dewi Stars sank deeper into the relegation mire after a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Cardigan Town at King George V Playing Field.

Bargod Rangers of the Second Division reached the last eight of the Easter Monday League Cup and a home game against Newcastle Emlyn courtesy of a 5-4 win over Crannog of Division One after extra time at Parc Puw.

The Division Two leading marksman Jaydyn Lynch and Josh Grota bagged a brace of goals apiece for Rangers and the other goal was headed home by Alex Mathias.

It appeared farcical at St Dogmaels where a local referee passed the pitch playable during the morning but with both sides ready to take the

field match referee Alan Jenkins ruled that it was unfit.

The School Field cut up badly the previous Saturday, resembling a ploughed field at the end of 90 minutes and many supporters had doubts over the strip recovering in time for the Emlyn game.

A St Dogmaels official said the referee took everything into consideration and what was paramount in his decision not to allow the game

to proceed was the safety of players.