Losing for the eighth time when going down 14-0 against visitors Trebanos at Ddol Wyber caused ripples of concern among followers of

Newcastle Emlyn who hover just above the Championship relegation zone.

The Swansea Valley side completed the double over their rivals having comprehensively beaten them earlier in the season.

Emlyn will be anxious to pick up points next time out when visiting Abernant Park to take on bottom of the pile Glynneath and seven days later visit fellow strugglers Rhydyfelin.

A heavy strip at Ddol Wyber restricted both sides who have gained reputations as open play specialists.

Emlyn conceded a string of early penalties but fortunately for them the visitors were off target with attempts at the posts.

After 20 minutes a lineout near the Emlyn try line concluded in scrum-half Morgan Evans nipping through a gap for a try converted by

fullback Mathew Edwards.

A miscued pass provided Trebanos winger Sam Davies with a run in for a try under the posts and Edwards added the extras to complete the scoring and leave the homesters feeling rather flat.

Despite playing into driving rain after the break Emlyn put the visitors under pressure for lengthy periods but failed to get on the


Crymych may be rock bottom in League 1 West but the Preselimen are enjoying themselves in the WRU National Plate where a tremendous rearguard action saw them reach the quarter-final with a 12-7 win over holders Penallta of League 1 East at Parc Lloyd Thomas.

The visitors threw everything but the kitchen sink at the north Pembrokeshire side in the final quarter but Crymych showed great resilience

in holding out.

With skipper Rhys 'Beaky' Davies leading by example up front Crymych scrummaged well against the powerful Penallta eight and didn't give an inch near the end.

Behind the scrum halfbacks Luke Rogers and Arwel Davies controlled the tempo of the game while centre Ifan Phillips had his kicking boots on as he landed four first half penalties to give his side a 12-0 interval lead.

At the start of the second half visiting prop Kieran Mahoney drove over for a try converted by outside half Joseph Scriven.

When it appeared as if the holders would take over the north Pembrokeshire villagers dug deep and held out for a memorable victory.

Cardigan came out on top 20-8 against understrength Haverfordwest to move above the Blues in a dour League 3 West A affair at King George V Playing Field.

The Cardis led 10-3 after the opening 40 minutes, their points coming from a try by Sion Hughes converted by skipper and centre Emyr Harries who also landed a penalty. His opposite number Mattie Phillips kicked a penalty for the visitors.

Owen Rees got a second try for the homesters after the break but the Blues bounced back with a try by prop Terry Lovell which went unconverted.

Hooker Luke Palmer-Davies wrapped matters up with a third Cardigan try.