A FORGOTTEN cemetery is being uncovered as part of efforts for the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

The Old St Mary’s Cemetery in Haverfordwest is being cleared of overgrowth by volunteers this October, in preparation for the centenary of the First World War.

There are two war graves maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission: DA Hughes, who died in 1916, and Charles Jenkins, who died in 1918.

“We think the cemetery could be used as a community park, a place where people could spend time,” said Pat Barker, churchwarden at St Mary’s.

“Anyone who wants to get involved is welcome to come along and help.”

The cemetery is opposite Fenton CP School, behind a large stone wall.

Its history began in the early 19th century when the churchyard around St Mary’s became full.

A new burial ground was bought from the town corporation – the town council of the day – for a price of 5 pounds.

This land at Ruther Lane was consecrated and dedicated in 1828 by Bishop John Banks.

The last burial at the cemetery took place in the 1950s.

Since then, the condition of the cemetery has deteriorated, with many of the monuments and gravestones having suffered damage.

The overgrowth, which includes Japanese knotweed must be cleared away to protect the monuments.

Some efforts have been made to clear the land over the years, including during the year 2000, and members of the Dyfed Family History Society completed recording the surviving stones in 2003.

For now, St Mary’s Church wishes to clear the cemetery ahead of Remembrance Sunday, but wants to make the land into a green area anyone can use in the future.

To help clear the cemetery, visit it on Saturdays during October from 9am to 2pm.

Please bring your own equipment.

For more information contact Pat Barker via 01437 766107 or email pswalesbarker@gmail.com