A PATIENT who injured two nurses while sectioned, stressed and struggling has avoided a prison sentence.

Lewis Daniel Hill, of Brynhoffnant, Rhydlewis, appeared before Haverfordwest magistrates for sentencing on Wednesday, August 29, after previously pleading guilty to charges of assault, ABH and criminal damage.

The court heard that Hill was detained under the mental health act and taken to a place of safety on Carmarthen after threatening to commit suicide on the roof of Bronglais hospital, Aberystwyth, at 1.05am on January 31.

Hill, 24, was initially calm, but became aggressive, had to be restrained and caught a nurse in her chest while kicking out, causing her temporary discomfort.

The defendant was taken to the floor and another nurse put her hand under Hill's head to try to prevent any injury.

She suffered a hair-line fracture to her finger as Hill continued to head-butt the floor.

Vaughan Pritchard-Jones, prosecuting, told the bench that Hill pulled a ventilation tile out of the ceiling when managing to break free from staff and jump up, causing £188.20 worth of damage.

He added that Hill was subject to a suspended sentence order at the time of the offence.

Katy Hanson, defending, said Hill had a ‘very limited recollection’ of the incident, and the nurses had been assaulted by reckless actions rather than intentionally, while Hill was stressed and struggling.

She said: “Clearly this offence rose out of what was an extremely difficult time in Miss Hill’s life.

“She was threatening suicide, so clearly she was at crisis point. It was a desperate situation.”

Miss Hanson added: “Miss Hill is deeply sorry for her actions on that day.”

The bench heard that Hill had been feeling isolated and had self-medicated with anti-depressants, but was now living with a family member and seeking employment.

“Miss Hill has some emotional needs at the moment. She identifies as female and is in the process of transitioning. Clearly she would have a very difficult time if sent to Swansea prison.

“It is very sad circumstances that caused her to be here.

“She is trying to move her life forward and make the right decisions.”

Magistrates imposed a 12-month community order with 100 hours of unpaid work.

Hill was also ordered to pay £50 compensation to each nurse, plus £170 in costs and a surcharge.

The chairman of the bench said: “We are not going to activate the prison sentence. You were at the time of the incident highly distressed, had attempted suicide, and had been sectioned and taken to a safe unit, such was the concern for you.”