A gulf in class between the top of the Premiership the lower reaches of the Championship was plainly visible as top dogs Merthyr journeyed west and swept aside Newcastle Emlyn 59-0 in round one of the WRU National Cup at Ddol Wyber.

There was also disappointment for League 1 West basement boys Crymych who went down 22-15 against fourth in the table Gorseinon while Cardigan of League 3 West A won for the second week in succession when coming out on top 26-8 at St Davids.

Merthyr scored nine tries in a runaway victory but to their credit the Teifisiders put up a spirited showing against a class outfit.

Emlyn hooker and skipper Alex Williams led from the front and was given excellent support from forwards and the back division.

It spoke volumes for the Red and Whites that they held their illustrious opponents to three tries into the second half but tiredness crept in and the Ironmen drew clear.

The Merthyr try scorers were flanker Osian Davies, centre Josh Marin, lock Jarryd Davies, winger Aled Howman who bagged a brace, replacement hooker Richard Wilkes, centre Gavin Davies and fullback Mathew Jarvis, the latter landing seven conversions.

After an ugly incident early in the second half home prop Dai Jones and visiting forward Rhys Jones were shown red cards.

Crymych, who led 8-7 after the opening 40 minutes at Gorseinon went down 22-15 but earned a losing bonus point for being within seven points of their rivals.

During the first half No. 8 Llyr Davies went over for an unconverted try for the visitors and Ifan Phillips landed a penalty while the home

points came from a Jamie Evans try converted by Jack Gronow.

Crymych increased the advantage early in the second half when outside half Jake Jenkins ran in for a try and Ifan Phillips landed a penalty.

As Gorseinon asserted further tries were sprung by Andrew Steel and Alun Evans, one of the scores converted by Gronow who also landed a penalty.

Despite two red cards during the second half Cardigan notched a comfortable Division 3 West A bonus point win at St Davids.

With a gale at their backs in the first half Saints went ahead with a penalty by Matty Mcleod but Cardigan responded with a well-worked try by Casey Walters converted by centre and skipper Emyr Harries.

Soon afterwards Harries increased his side's advantage with a second try which he converted.

Hooker Luke Palmer-Davies and lock Simon Phillips were red-carded for foul play but a penalty try and a score in the corner by flanker Gareth Clifford won it for the visitors.

Winger Luke Brooks got a late try for Saints but it was a case of too little and too late.