Although it is unlikely that Costcutter League clubs will figure in the latter stages of the Central Wales Cup – some years ago Maesglas and Newcastle Emlyn reached the last eight – reigning Division One champions and J Emrys Morgan Cup holders Llandysul and New Quay of the Second Division have safely negotiated the first hurdle.

In an all-local clash at Llandysul Park the champs overcame a heavy strip and visitors Felinfach to emerge emphatic 5-0 winners.

Despite the exit of a crop of experienced personnel who starred for the Swallows last term, a decision by manager Chris Coco Davies to put his faith in youngsters already appears to be paying dividends as the likes of 16-year-old central defender Jamie Artley and Ifan Sion Mason-Evans showed their undoubted potential while Carwyn Morgan and Scott Jones pulled the strings in midfield.

Right-winger Mason-Evans was undoubtedly the star of the show with three goals and set up the other two for Nathan Jones and Scott Jones.

New Quay, currently in the lower reaches of the Second Division rose to the occasion as they sprang a 5-1 win over Powys visitors Penybont United Reserves at Parc Arthur.

It was a fine all-round team performance by the Seasiders who led by four goals at the break and added another during the second period.

Striker Sam Tiffany, wingers Cameron Jeff and Glen Baldwin (2) and influential central midfielder Charlie Dent were the goal heroes.

In round two of Cwpan Coffa Dai Dynamo Davies a young Cardigan Town outfit reached the next stage after edging out visitors Borth United Reserves of the Cambrian Tyres Aberystwyth League at King George V Playing Field.

It was all square after 90 minutes but it was the young Magpies, who dominated for lengthy periods and came up trumps in extra time when Mark Ratcliffe headed home a cross from the left. Such was the dominance of the homesters that stand-in goalkeeper Neal Evans was a virtual spectator throughout.

Town will be joined in the third round by Second Division Llanboidy who overcame visitors Machynlleth Reserves of the Cambrian Tyres League 4-1 .

For the west Carmarthenshire promotion contenders, who led 3-0 after the opening 45 minutes, Ross McDonald bagged a brace of goals and the other marksmen were Rhys Evans and Jack Griffiths.

Another Division Two club Cilgerran Rovers did the business in north Ceredigion when reaching round three of the J Emrys Morgan Cup after a 1-0 win over Bow Street Reserves.

On the league front St Dogmaels kept alive their Division One championship hopes with a 5-1 win over visitors and joint bottom of the pile Dewi Stars.

Saints made light of gluepot underfoot conditions at School Field as they netted all their goals during the first half and made a number of changes for the second period.

Adam Williams and Rhys Jones netted two goals apiece and the other was claimed by young striker Louis Harding. Andrew Jones replied for Stars.

In a bottom of the league affair Ffostrasol picked up maximum points with a 3-2 win over Aberaeron Reserves at Troedyrhiw Park.

Iwan Lloyd struck twice for Wanderers and Cian Edwards also got his name on the scoresheet while Gareth Severs and Ryan Jenkins netted for the visitors.