Two seasons ago Cardigan Town of the Costcutter League set the scene alight in Mid Wales junior football circles by plundering an unprecedented five trophies.

But despite retaining their league title last term the Magpies have hardly been flying high this time around, but it was a return of the halcyon days on Saturday as Iestyn Evans and colleagues rose to the occasion to reach the Bay Cup final with a superb 4-1 win across the River Teifi against arch-rivals St Dogmaels.

Three days earlier Saints pulled off one of the shock results of the campaign by walloping newly-crowned league champions Llandysul 5-0 in their opponents' own backyard.

But the Teifi Estuary villagers suffered injuries, including a broken arm suffered by attacking livewire Chris Morgan – everyone on the local circuit will join in wishing the popular player a speedy recovery.

Town had just about everyone available for the tough assignment at School Field, the team bolstered by the inclusion of striker John Lumb, who has been played rugby for Cardigan throughout the season.

With slope advantage during the opening 45 minutes the Magpies bolted into a three-goal lead and although under the cosh for lengthy periods during the second half stood tall and kept their opponents at bay.

As Town withstood the pressure old head Steve Blackford and skipper Iestyn Evans were immense at the back and behind them goalkeeper Carl Woodhouse handled confidently.

Midfielder Ben Davies nudged the visitors ahead with a cracking strike, Ewan Jones doubled the advantage and Tomos Toft hit a third goal.

Saints hit back right at the start of the second period when John Midgely fired past Woodhouse and as the Greens mounted intense pressure many felt it was only a matter of time before Town wilted.

But it was not to be and the visitors held out for a first-rate win and kept their season alive – they take on Newcastle Emlyn in the final at Parc Puw in Drefach Felindre on Saturday, May 27 (kick off 2pm).

Emlyn had very few problems in the other semi-final as the Reds swept aside outplayed New Quay 6-0 at Parc Emlyn, a result that will have put them in the right frame of mind for the visit of Crannog on Tuesday in a shootout for the league runners-up spot.

For the on form Reds, who led 3-0 at the break, Jake Kelly led the scoring with four strikes and the others came from a Huw Jones penalty and Dafydd Owens.

Congratulations to Llandysul Reserves who completed a double at Ffostrasol when notching a 3-0 win over their Lampeter counterparts to lift the Percy Eldridge Cup to go with the Reserves Cup (Division Three Championship) already in the Swallows' trophy cabinet.