17 homes plan deferred
12:45pm Thursday 12th June 2014 in News
A controversial plan to build 17 new homes next to a housing estate in Newcastle Emlyn have been put on hold by Ceredigion planners.
The scheme would see a mix of homes including six affordable flats on land next to Derwen Gardens, Adpar. Phase two of the scheme would see proposals for a further 24 new homes.
Residents in Derwen Gardens have signed a petition against the scheme raising concerns about increased traffic, lack of a play area and a proposed pedestrian access through their estate.
Officers recommended to this week's development control committee that the scheme should be turned down because of inadequate access and that it fell outside the settlement boundary.
They also said the scheme was "premature" as the land could be included for building in the next local development plan in a few years time.
Applicant Dyfrig Davies gave an impassioned plea to the committee.
"We are a local company serving this area for 60 years, we employ 20 people and support local businesses," he said.
"There are things happening here that I am surprised at. This development is important. It provides jobs and homes for local people."
He added that he had not been happy with how the planning department had dealt with the plan.
Director Huw Williams said that emails from the agent had been sent to councillors but not the planning authority.
But he added: "There are issues raised in correspondence that need to be teased out."
Councillors agreed to defer the plan to their next meeting.
Comments are closed on this article.