Dangers of drinking and cooking highlighted

The local fire service is urging people to take extra care when drinking and cooking, following kitchen fires in west Wales this week.

On Thursday crews from Carmarthen and Llandysul attended a fire in a two storey flat in Cwmduad. The fire was contained to the cooker and crews used breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet, a thermal imaging camera and a positive pressure ventilation fan.

Crews administered oxygen therapy to one male casualty, who was then conveyed to hospital by ambulance. Crews carried out a hot strike of the property and fitted three smoke detectors.

Station Manager Marc Williams said: “It’s really important to make sure you never leave your cooking unattended. If you do need to leave it for a few moments, you need to ensure you turn off the hob so your cooking doesn’t boil over, burn or set alight.”

He added: “Many people will be planning on having a few drinks tonight as Wales take on France and we would urge you not to cook in this instance, but to get a takeaway instead as drinking and cooking can be a dangerous combination.”

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree