Report on storm damage
3:25pm Tuesday 14th January 2014 in News
A full report into the damage caused to the Ceredigion coastline and communties by the recent storms will be presented before the county council's Cabinet next month.
Councillors were told at this week's meeting that there had been "significant damage" and restoration work was being done before the next forecasted high tide on February 2.
Chief executive Bronwen Morgan said that nearly 60 homes had been affected - with the majority in Cardigan - and more than 20 business properties.
"The next high tide is forecasted for February 2 so work will be done in that short period of time to repair our defences," she said.
Miss Morgan praised the response of the community - especially residents who helped clear promenade in Aberystwyth - and the reaction of Welsh Assembly ministers. Rural affairs minister Alun Davies visited Aberystwyth hours after the storm and business minister Jane Hutt has signalled that she will be visiting the county shortly.
Cardigan councillor John Adams-Lewis told the Cabinet that the community had responded generously to a fund set up for the flood victims.
"Everything is coming together. It was very bad - I haven't seen such a depth of water in St Mary Street in all the 46 years I have lived in Cardigan."
Aberystywth councillor Ceredig James added: "Aberystwyth has had all the publicity but we mustn't forget that other towns were affected."
Director of highways, property and works Huw Morgan warned that the high tide in February would be bigger than the one earlier this month.
"The tide will be higher on February 2 but let's hope it doesn't have a storm behind it as well," he said.
Cllr Lyndon Lloyd called for the council to check its drains.
"The ones in Cenarth are very old and it was only the work of the fire brigade that prevented properties being flooded," he said.
Cllr Paul Hinge said that the county would recover.
"Ceredigion is open for business and that's what we want to publicise," he said.