Remember, remember, stay safe this November
12:01pm Saturday 2nd November 2013 in News
THE Welsh Ambulance Service is urging people to take extra care during Bonfire Night celebrations.
Every year, the service is called to deal with firework and bonfire-related injuries through improper handling of fireworks and people taking unnecessary risks.
The Trust is asking revellers to keep a sensible head in the run-up to November 5.
Mike Collins, Interim Director of Service Delivery at the Welsh Ambulance Service, said: “It is easy to forget how dangerous fireworks, bonfires and even sparklers can be.
“Calls we dealt with last year ranged from minor burns to life-changing injuries as a result of a fireworks display gone wrong, and a lot of these injuries could have been avoided.
“We want people to enjoy themselves on Bonfire Night, but it is important to remember that fireworks can be potentially lethal if used improperly.
“If you can’t go to a professionally-organised public display and are planning to host your own event, please make safety a priority to ensure everyone has a good time without getting hurt.”
People hosting their own event are reminded that fireworks should be kept in a closed box and used one at a time to avoid any accidents.
Follow the instructions on each firework, using a torch if necessary, and light at arm’s length wearing goggles and protective clothing. Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
Children should wear gloves with sparklers, and never wave it near someone’s face. When the sparkler has finished, put it into a bucket of cold water straight away and leave it there.
Mike added: “Bonfire Night is a demanding time of year for the Welsh Ambulance Service, and makes it difficult for crews to get to other non firework-related incidents.
“Help reduce the number of calls we get about firework-related injuries to zero, and play your part in freeing up valuable resources to help others who may be suffering a life-threatening medical emergency.”