Smoke alarm saves family from roof fire
11:17am Monday 11th March 2013 in News
Mid & West Wales Fire and Rescue Service are praising a family for having a working fire alarm in their property after a roof fire at the weekend.
Fire crews from Newcastle Emlyn, Crymych and Cardigan attended the fire at Capel Iwan early on Saturday morning. On arrival, the roof was well alight and was tackled using two breathing apparatus and one main jet.
A working smoke alarm woke the occupants and ensured their safe removal, including that of a 5 year old girl who was sleeping in the loft.
Watch Manager Emyr Jones said, “If this alarm had not operated, I am convinced that we would now be dealing with a tragedy. The occupants were very lucky indeed. This incident really goes to show how vital a working smoke alarm can be in saving lives. If you haven’t got one, please get one today”!
Station Manager Simon Pearson added, “I would like to commend the crew in attendance for their fantastic work in limiting the fire spread so quickly in such a remote location".
If you think you need a free home fire safety, including the fitting of free smoke alarms where necessary, please call 0800 169 1234.